Have you tried a juice cleanse before? Over the weekend, I decided to get adventurous with Juice Crafters, and try their 1 day “Master Cleanse.” This cleanse is designed to improve your day-to-day health and help your body eliminate toxins while replacing them with powerful nutrients. It consists of 8 cold pressed, raw juices each containing unique and beneficial ingredients to detox, improve health, enhance beauty, increase energy and immune function. The goal is to drink one juice every two hours and drink about 6-8 cups of water throughout the day in between juices. The order in which you drink the juices is also very important. Juice Crafters gave me a reminder sheet with the juices listed in the order to be consumed.
As a Registered Dietitian, I see many clients who ask about “cleansing” and “detox” juice blends. Usually my clients are inclined to ask about these after a stink of traveling, unhealthy eating and drinking, dining out or recent weight gain. My answer to them is that our bodies are equipt with all of the necessary organs to detoxify, such as the liver, kidneys and lungs. However, because these organs are working around the clock, day in and day out, (somedays more than others depending on what you ate and drank) it is nice to give them a break once in a while. A 1-3 day juice cleanse that is packed with nutrients is the best way to do it! Please note that I don’t recommend doing the old “lemon, honey, water and cayenne pepper cleanse” that people have been doing for years to gain quick weight loss results because it will deplete your body of nutrients and lead to dehydration.
Juice Crafters on the other hand, is a great way to hit the “reset” button on your digestive tract and organs, and allow your body to filter many of the toxins that could have been lingering in your body for quite some time. Most people are aware that fruits and vegetables are “good for you.” However, I am here to explain the health benefits of each juice based on their ingredients. Each one of the juices contains a rich source of fiber, which helps keep you full and promotes a healthy and regular digestive tract.
- Green vegetables are one of the best types of foods to consume in the morning because you are coming from an overnight fast and need to balance blood sugar levels. These greens are specifically high in antioxidants which are cancer fighting, rich in calcium, fiber, Vitamin K, C, A, B, iron, folate, magnesium, and omega 3 fatty acids (important for brain function).
- The lemon helps the body become more alkaline (balanced) and can also enhance the absorpotion of iron (from leafy green vegetables) in the body which is important for red blood cell formation that deliver oxygen to the body’s tissues.
- The apple provides soluble fiber which will help lower LDL (bad cholesterol) and reduce risk of heart disease while also providing a slighlty sweet taste but without any added sugar.
- The ginger has a great anti-nausea effect, as well as anti-viral properties which helps boost immune function.
- Pineapple contains an important enzyme called bromelain which improves protein and nutrient digestion, reduces inflammation, prevents blood clotting and can help reduce swelling post surgery or reduce joint and muscle pain post injury.
- The phytonutrients (plant nutrients) in apples can help regulate blood sugar which is especially important for anyone who is diabetic or pre-diabetic. Apples are also high in antioxidants which can prevent cancer (more specifically colon and breast cancer) and heart disease.
- Mint helps to reduce inflammation, and activates the salivary glands in our mouth which secrete digestive enzymes to soothe the stomach and facilitate digestion. It is also used as a palate cleanser after the appetizer and before the main course. It is a stimulant which may help to increase weight loss, alertness and decrease fatigue.
At this point in the cleanse, I felt great! I felt energized, full and satisfied. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, and I didn’t feel like I was missing out this morning. Juice Crafters was providing me with all of the necessary nutrients to keep my mind and body running at full speed.Read More...